Monday, September 8, 2008

worth it

This post is for all of you moms and dads out there who break your backs every day to take care of your families and raise your kids. If you are like me, every once in a while you wonder if all your hard work is amounting to anything.

A few days ago, I was in a serious funk. My tie felt like it was choking me, my head hurt, I was in the middle of a long, tedious project at work, and I was stressing about money in the back of my mind. It was one of those days when you just want to throw in the towel and go take a nap on a park bench. Then b sent me a link to this video. She caught j and o with their little toy guitars, having a jam session and singing Jesus Loves Me (or at least a very loose interpretation of Jesus Loves Me).

After I watched the video, my outlook changed. I suddenly remembered why I get up every morning and go to work. Why I go to school at night. Why I read to the boys before bed and pray with them and take them to church. I remembered why b gets up every morning and essentially puts everything she has, every last drop of energy, into raising j and o.

We do it for moments like the one in this video. Moments when we get to see our kids growing and maturing and demonstrating the things that we are trying to teach them. Moments like this refresh the awe in me as a parent. And they make everything worth it.

5 comments:

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I am so glad this made you feel better...the boys are crazy fun for sure. :) thanks for working so hard to let us play at home!!!

Angie said...

From all the stay at home parents and the kids that benefit I give you a hearty THANK YOU! I can tell you that it shows with our kids at the ages they are now that it shows that they had a parent at home totally devoted to their mental and physical growth. And honestly, I just quit teaching this year (I had been part time since the youngest was in Kinder) and it's making a huge difference even now for our whole family having me home. It's worth it, you're sacrifices will continue to pay off in a big way.

Ellyn Canfield said...

oh, sweet.

i loved that video, too- i watched it like 8 times in a row. I think O may need to take up some percussion before he breaks the more delicate instruments.

Raging Dad said...

That is great. I can tell they have a future in music. My kids are working on it, but have yet to pick up actual instruments.

Angel said...

You and Bethany are awesome parents! Anyone can tell that when they spend time with Jackson and Oliver! The video of them was adorable!