Sunday, September 21, 2008

a summer of reading comes to a close


This is one of the best "reading summers" that I have had in a long time. I'm not sure if finishing a year of grad school made me crave some good, scandalous novels or what, but I didn't worry about the "intellectual value" of what I was reading and instead just chose books for their pure entertainiment value. Some of what I read is pictured, but here's the full list, in no particular order. Post a comment and let me know what you read this summer.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Dune by Frank Herbert

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Bible Salesman by Clyde Edgerton

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Wobegon Boy by Garrison Keillor

The Front Porch Prophet by Raymond Atkins

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

3 comments:

Raging Dad said...

Oh, I loved having the summer to read to myself. Did you like the Chabon? I've heard great things about it, and it is on my list to read soon. I read a few things, but lost momentum towards the second half of summer.

Outer Dark by Cormack McCarthy
Child of God by Cormack McCarthy
Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
Bone by Jeff Smith (nine volume epic graphic novel, read with my daughter)

brad said...

Yes, Chabon ws very good. You would like it - it's about comic books.

Looks like we are both McCarthy fans.

Raging Dad said...

Huge McCarthy fan. We'll have to talk.