Saturday, September 13, 2008

simplifying life, part 1: hurray for cheap cars and walking!

As promised, here is part one in a three-part series on how we've tried to simplify our lives over the last year. This first post is about our efforts to simplify our finances.

For starters, there's Little Blue. She's old and a bit rough around the edges, but she's like a Timex watch - she can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I'm referring to the newest addition to a our family - a 1990 Toyota Corolla AllTrac Wagon (b and the boys are proudly posing with Little Blue in this picture). Little Blue has replaced Big Grey - a massive, gas-guzzling Lexus. We sold Big Grey (we never actually called him that, but I needed a name) a month ago, and we are thrilled to be driving Little Blue around now.

Little Blue represents a significant step for us in our quest to simplify. She may not be much to look at, but she is cheap, durable and friendly (or at least friendlier) on the environment. No status. Just practicality.

Walking is even better. The house that we are renting (the old one is still for sale) is within walking distance of my office. So I walk to work every day I can. My walks in the morning and afternoon are two of the best parts of my day. Instead of fighting traffic and paying for gas, I'm getting healthier and I have to time to pray and think.

Our decision to sell our old car and get Little Blue stemmed from a realization we had about a year ago: we had gotten caught up in the social climb - never happy with our current car, our current house, our current job, our current clothes, etc. Always spending money we shouldn't have been spending to look more impressive to those around us. It really started to wear us out. It wasn't good for us financially, spiritually, and even physically (because when you spend a lot of money, you worry about money all the time, which puts stress on your mind).

Our new frame of mind is this: let's be happy with what we have, and let's spend less than we make. Let's not worry as much about what people think of our house, our car or our clothes. Let's use our money in the way God intended - to take care of our needs and to bless and help other people.

And that's really the bottom line: God has blessed us with money. What we do with that money is a reflection of our relationship with Him. If we use all of our money to make our ourselves look impressive, to satisfy our egos, then we're not really honoring what God has given us. But if we only use what we really need and use the rest to honor God and help people, then amazing things will happen.

That's what we believe.

8 comments:

Angel said...

Nice wagon!!!!

Raging Dad said...

Awesome that you are walking to work. I find my hour-long commute to work on transit to be my favorite part of the day. I listen to my ipod, read books, snooze, etc. The impact on the pocketbook (and state of mind) by not buying gas is really an excellent benefit. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

An dude, you could simplify the lives of all of your blog readers by torpedoing the CAPCHA nonsense. What is this, a high security zone?! :)

brad said...

Raging Dad - I figured you would like the part about walking. Even better - I may end up taking the bus during the rainy season. I know you'll be all for that!

Oh, and b helped me get rid of the capcha thing. I didn't even know you get rid of it. Thanks for the tip.

Pugs in Space said...

Hi I found you from Angie and Andrew's blog. I am very proud of your choices. Excellent blog!

Angel said...

You seriously are going to take the bus to work when it starts raining? Won't that include waiting around more...less time with family? I would drive myself....that is just me though.=)

Angie said...

Congrats Brad! We too live single car now. We have been riding our bikes as much as possible (you have probably seen us out and about, a big biker gang of 4). Andy works downtown, so it's only a 10 minute ride from home. When the weather turns he will probably walk or ride the bus. We are hoping to get the kids hooked on biking/walking everywhere instead of automatically hopping in the car. After a year and a half concerted effort I would say we are much happier for it. We rode downtown for auditions tonight, actually, and the kids automatically got their bikes out, without even asking if we were riding. The temptation is always there, but it's so much more enjoyable to walk or ride. Kudos to you. Your kids will benefit as well by your teaching them good habits early.

brad said...

Angel - fortunately there's a bus stop about 100 feet from our house, so there isn't much extra waiting around. I also have to give kudos to the company I work for - I get to ride free with my work badge, and I actually get a small bonus for each pay period in which I walk or bus to work at least six days - so it's worth it.

Angie - we need to get bikes! That sounds like so much fun.

But sorry - one clarification: we still have two cars (the other is an old Honda Civic). I still need it to drive to Portland for grad school at night. But our goal is some day to get down to one car.

Angel said...

Okay, I can see why you would ride the bus then! That is awesome your company does that!